Yesterday was my first live radio show and it went. Yes, that’s it… it went. I don’t think it was absolutely horrible but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. Luckily I have an opportunity to improve next week with episode 2.
I don’t know what I expected with the show and went in a bit more unorganized that planned. There was a lot of ambiguity about how everything would happen with the show engineer and the station manager. In order to figure it out I just jumped in with both feet.
Perhaps the most surprising thing was the amazing support I received from friends by logging on and listening.
I talked about it a little in the show today, but just barely touched on it really. The last couple years have been really tough for me and the support from so many people meant more than I can adequately communicate. If you were one of the people that listened on AM radio, streaming over the internet, texted me before, during or after the show, sent facebook wishes or questions or any other sort of support THANK YOU. It means a lot to me to have so many thoughtful people in my life.
Lessons Learned From Episode 1
1. Wearing the headphones while on air does a great job of muffling out the other sounds in the studio but they also make it so all you hear when you’re talking is your own voice. This took a bit of time to get used to.
2. Sitting at a table with a microphone and talking into space is kind of weird.
3. People liked it more when I spoke off script than when I read. I did too.
4. I could have had a laptop up and running during the show. That would have saved a couple of trees by not printing off a bunch of my old blog posts as backup material.
5. I need to come up with a sign off.
6. Have somebody to talk to, even if it’s the engineer. Just another voice to break up my talking helps.
7. Take questions earlier. I didn’t feel like I’d gotten into a groove until the whole thing felt more like a conversation.
8. Bring water. Talking makes me thirsty.
9. Relax and let the show flow.
If you haven’t already enter for a chance to win $75 in adwords credit. If you win, I’ll even help you set up your first ad campaign.
I’ll have the podcast up soon and of course you can listen next week as we air episode 2.